There’s a restaurant downtown with super tasty shrimp po boy sandwiches. I usually don’t love Cajun anything or tomatoes, but on this sandwich I love the Cajun aioli and the diced tomatoes that top the lettuce and shrimp. The restaurant downtown obviously (or maybe not “obviously”) doesn’t sell gluten free sandwiches so I decided to make them at home so I could make sure I used seasonings I knew were safe and of course at home I can easily substitute gluten free rolls.
Cajun aioli sauce:
– 1 cup mayo
– 1/2 cup ketchup
– 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
– 1/2 tsp paprika
– 1/2 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tbsp creole/Cajun seasoning ** zatarans brand IS gluten free**
– 4tbsp butter
– 1 tsp garlic powder or crushed fresh garlic.. I used powder because it was easier
– 1-2 lbs of raw/peeled/deveined shrimp. I used frozen ones because it was easy. I’m seeing a trend here with the “quick and easy”
*breaded shrimp is delicious too, but I didn’t feel like adding more steps for myself when I made these sammys. *
– 1 lemon to squeeze over shrimp as they cook
– more of that creole/Cajun seasoning to shake over the shrimp
Here are a few good and easy to find gluten free options:
Over medium heat in a large skillet, melt the butter and add the shrimp.
Sprinkle the seasoning, squeeze the lemon and add the garlic over the shrimp and stir. While that starts to turn all those little shrimpies pink and delicious looking, mix all sauce ingredients together.
Get your roll and fill it with shrimps. So many. Then add the shredded lettuce and tomato. Then drizzle a little (or be like me a drizzle a gallon) of the Cajun aioli sauce. If you have time you can take a picture, if not just try to eat slow enough to enjoy it. It’s delish.